The top list of 5 most expensive spice in the world. This list will provide you with some of the costliest spices in the world you can come across in your local market.
Spices have been an important part of human history and cuisine. While some spices are easily accessible and inexpensive, others are rare and highly prized, making them expensive. Here are the top 5 most expensive spices in the world:
- Saffron: Saffron is the most expensive spice in the world. It is derived from the dried stigmas of the saffron crocus flower. It takes around 75,000 flowers to produce just one pound of saffron. Due to its labor-intensive harvesting process, saffron can cost anywhere from $500 to $5,000 per pound.
- Vanilla: Vanilla is the second most expensive spice in the world. It is derived from the seed pods of the vanilla orchid. Due to its complex pollination process, vanilla is difficult to cultivate and harvest, making it expensive. The price of vanilla can range from $200 to $500 per pound.
- Cardamom: Cardamom is a spice commonly used in Indian and Middle Eastern cuisine. It is derived from the seeds of various plants in the ginger family. Due to its labor-intensive harvesting process, cardamom can cost up to $30 per ounce.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon is a spice derived from the inner bark of several tree species. The most expensive type of cinnamon is Ceylon cinnamon, which is native to Sri Lanka. Ceylon cinnamon can cost up to $10 per ounce.
- Cloves: Cloves are a spice commonly used in Indian and Middle Eastern cuisine. They are derived from the flower buds of the clove tree. Due to their labor-intensive harvesting process, cloves can cost up to $8 per ounce.
While these spices may be expensive, they are highly prized for their unique flavors and aromas, making them worth the price for many culinary enthusiasts.